If you are looking for a cute Mother's Day gift that your moms will actually use, look no further. We actually made these for our moms as a Christmas gift so I have no reservations about posting this before Mother's Day. I don't know if you've noticed, but posting holiday activities before the holiday starts is definitely an area of improvement for me. :) There are many, many other areas of improvement, but we won't go into that right now.
Anyway, these adorable key chains are super easy, super cute, and super usable.
We used a tutorial from another blog that I cannot find for the life of me, so if I used your tutorial and you are reading this, please leave me a comment.
These are very easy, but need to be done ahead of time to leave time for the paint to dry.
Here's What You Need:
- Baking Clay (We used Sculpey brand from Walmart)
- Heart cookie cutter (or you can free hand the heart shape)
- Large Jump Ring (pliers for opening and closing the ring)
- Key Chain
- Paint (We used a metalic paint to give our hearts some shimmer)
Here's What You Do:
- Roll out your dough to about 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cut out a heart shape bigger than the thumb prints you are using.
- Use toothpick to make a hole for the jump ring in the top left corner of the heart.
- Use your child's thumb to make a heart print by tilting it to the left, then right, with overlap at the bottom.
- If wanted, etch the child's name and date on the back with the toothpick.
- Bake in oven according to the package directions.
- Paint using two layers of paint.
- Pull apart the jump ring with pliers and put it through the whole. Then squeeze it back together
- Attach the key ring and there you go!
A sweet Mother's Day gift that your moms won't throw away once the holiday is over.