Home

Meet The Teacher

Class Information

Registration

Tuition

Schedule

Curriculum

Philosophy

Contact Me

Songs

Saturday, November 19, 2011

S is for Star

To start our study on outer space, we learned how to draw stars. I made five points on a black paper and labeled them a through e.

Before the kids connected the dots, I showed them how to draw a star  a bunch of times. We practiced saying which direction our hand should move with each line we made. Then, the kids each choose a chalk color to draw their own star with and they connected the dots and colored in their own star.


We sang Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star and I taught the kids the star wishing rhyme: 

Star light, star bright, first star I see tonight.
I wish I may, I wish I might, have the wish I wish tonight.

We also made shooting stars that turned out to be a big hit with the kids. 


I was surprised at how much the kids loved them because they were so simple to make.

Here's What You Need:
  • Sticky backed glitter foam paper (I found it in packs at Walmart)
  • Dowels
  • Gold ribbon
Here's What You Do:
  1. Cut out two stars from the foam paper. My stars were 3.5 inches in diameter. (I ended up cutting the stars out for the kids because it was a challenge for my kids to cut it out by themselves.)
  2. Cut 3 lengths of gold ribbon. Mine were 6 inches. 
  3. Put the 3 ribbons on one side of the sticky foam. Put the dowel in the middle.
  4. Sandwich the other star on top of the ribbon and dowel.

No comments:

Post a Comment