As schools start registration for next year, many parents are wondering: Is my child ready for kindergarten? Keep in mind that academics are not necessarily the most important factor when deciding to enroll. You are already doing so much for your children, with your help they will succeed in any classroom. It mostly comes down to your child's attitude toward learning and their ability to listen and follow directions. Here are a few things that teachers are looking for. If your child is exhibiting these things, they are probably ready for kindergarten. Keep in mind that they don't have to be doing all of them all the time.
- Enthusiasm toward learning
- Solid oral-language skills
- Ability to listen
- Desire to do things independently
- Plays well with others
- Good fine motor skills (coloring, cutting, etc.)
- Basic letter and number recognition